Thursday, October 30, 2008

Fragile

*Warning! Don't look below at the pictures if you are squeamish!*

Last night was a little scary. Brayden was at Scouts and I got a call. His Scout Leader said that there had been an accident and that Brayden had been burned. Bad enough that he probably needed to go to the Hospital. That is scary to me. I do think I stayed calm if I say so myself. I went to the church to get him and I could tell he was in pain. Brayden was all pale and ouchy. There had been an accident with the lightweight camp stoves they were making and the "fuel" started on fire and made the rubbing alcohol in it spray out onto Brayden's pants and they started on fire. Wow. He ran around a little and they finally got him to the ground and onto the grass and the fire went out. It really burned his leg. 2nd degree burns and all. He was a trooper but we definately needed to get him some care. On the way to the doctor Brayden couldn't understand why it had to happen. He said, "We even prayed that we wouldn't get hurt!" I had to explain that Heavenly Father doesn't always take away accidents and that it could have been so much worse. I took him to Urgent Care and they soaked his leg in ice water and cleared away a bunch of the skin, put some cream on it and bandaged it up. Poor guy was in such pain and I felt so bad for him. We got him home and he actually slept pretty well and woke up without pain anymore. (Prayers help!) Like I said, It could have been SO MUCH WORSE. His arm hair, eyelashes, and hair were burnt off, but no burns on his skin. We are grateful that the burns weren't worse and he is feeling great today. It will take awhile for the skin to heal, but it WILL heal and he be good as new. (Maybe just a little scared of fires for awhile though!) I do feel like he was watched over and protected as much as he could. Just another reminder how fast things can change and how fragile life is.


Brave Brayden


Nasty burn!

Gross stuff coming out of the gauze.



9 comments:

Callie said...

Oh no!! First of all, I am so glad to hear he is alright! It does look bad, but I am sure like you said, it wouldn't have taken much for it to be a lot worse! Poor guy! What a trooper though. Burns are soo painful. And, what a good mom you are to stay calm, I am sure it helped him so much! I sure hope he has a speedy recovery!

Karen said...

Oh Wow! Poor kid. That's sp scary. I'm happy to hear that he is doing okay.

Kiora said...

The poor guy. I am so glad it wasn't any worse. We will keep him in our prayers.

gina said...

Scary!! Glad it turned out as minor as it did (as if 2nd degree burns are minor) but it could have been so much worse.

Keri said...

ouch! poor kid! How scary for you!

Julie said...

Hey, it looks worse now than it did after it happened! I was there when Bishop Sollee called you. I called to see if you needed me to come over with the kids, but Taft was home. I hope he feels better. Poor kid!

Julie said...

Hey, it looks worse now than it did after it happened! I was there when Bishop Sollee called you. I called to see if you needed me to come over with the kids, but Taft was home. I hope he feels better. Poor kid!

Katie L. said...

Oh, that is scary! I'm so glad he is okay! I burned my thumb making caramel a couple weeks ago, and it hurt so bad! I had to sit with ice on it for hours, and it was a tiny burn. I hope he heals up quickly. Glad you are ok, Brayden. Someday they will call you as a scout leader and you will have scars to show the boys and teach them about fire safety!

The Drizzled Apple said...

I am sooo sorry! I didn't even know this happened! Wow what a brave boy! I'm sure the scout leaders were mortified!

I'm so glad he will be alright!

Tell him we are thinking about him, and hope and pray we don't ever have another scout related accident again! Hey, incidently, being afraid of fire... well, that's not really a bad thing ;)